If you suffer from dull, brittle, thickened, and distorted toenails that have turned a darker color, you may be actually suffering from toenail fungus. Nail fungus, which is also known as onychomycosis, is a common condition that can be easily treated. Although, this is usually a condition that does not hurt, pain is still a very real possibility; especially if left untreated. You need to know what causes toenail fungus and how to get rid of it.
Tea Tree Oil Nail Fungus Treatment
There are many different treatments available but a fairly newly-observed and completely natural treatment that seems to work well is a tea tree oil nail fungus treatment. The tea tree oil nail fungus treatment seems to work best for sufferers if applied and left on for about 24 hours.
To use tea tree oil nail fungus treatment,
- Use a cotton swab to dab some tea tree oil on the affect toenails, let dry and repeat this process twice every day.
- Remember to file your toenails 1-2 times per week to get rid of new fungus-infected toenails.
- Some even coat gauze or tissue paper with tea tree oil and bandage the area to ensure the tea tree toenail fungus treatment is constantly working.
- If the condition of your toenail worsens, you feel painful, or the infection has spread to the surrounding area, contact your doctor.
- New toenails may take a year to grow, so be a little bit patient.
- Be sure to wash and disinfect your files and other tools after using them to prevent reinfection.
Most people are very impressed with how fast this treatment actually works. After using the tea tree oil nail fungus remedy for only a few days to a few weeks, sufferers notice significant difference in their toenails. Nail color seems to begin clearing up within only a couple days for some people.
Out of those people who have stated that the tea tree oil nail fungus treatment does not work, most of them had admitted to only using the remedy a few times a week at best. Fungus of any kind is actually quite hardy and has learned to thrive in places few other living organisms can even survive in. In order for the tea tree oil nail fungus treatment to work properly, one must be more persistent with their treatment than the fungus is to live.
Other Ways of Dealing With Toenail Fungus
The absolute best way to treat nail fungus is to prevent it from happening! Follow our tips to make that possible:
- Keep your feet clean and dry at every possible moment
- Wear socks and shoes that absorb sweat and reduce humidity
- Use antifungal products in your shoes, especially if it is hard to avoid them getting wet
- Wear shoes in public areas, such as hotels, bathrooms and public pools.
Avoid Worsening the Infection
- Do not pick at the infection; this can cause the toenail fungus to become fingernail fungus
- After you have treated the fungus, prepare your new shoes with antifungal products
- Always wash hands after touching any infected nail
- No nail polish! Polishing your toenails, whether because you normally do or to hide the fungus, will only create a better breeding ground for fungus
For more remedies for toenail fungus, please check this article: http://www.enkicharity.com/how-to-get-rid-of-toenail-fungus.html
What Causes Toenail Fungus?
Since tea tree oil nail fungus treatment is effective, knowing what causes it gives you a better understanding of this issue. Nail fungus infections are caused by yeast, mold, and a dermatophyte fungus. Fungus doesn’t need light and love to live in moist environment, so your toenails is an ideal position for it. Not only are your toenails usually away from light, toes do not receive as much blood flow as other areas of your body, so your body’s natural antibodies may not even detect the fungus. This situation allows the fungus to thrive in your toenails.
Toenail Fungus, What Are the Risk Factors?
Anyone is able to get nail fungus but there are statistics as to who is more susceptible.
- People who have diabetes or other circulation problems
- People who have a weakened immune system
- Children with Down Syndrome
- Anyone who may have a small cut on their toe or have a nail injury as this gives the fungus a place to enter your body
- People who already have athlete’s foot
- Walking barefoot in public areas such as locker rooms, rest-stop bathrooms, pool shower rooms, etc.
- Being around someone else who has nail fungus. Fungus will find a way to survive and thrive; even if this means finding an additional host
- Excessive sweating or having continuously damp or wet feet for other reasons such as work environment
- Being a man. Statistically, men are most likely to develop nail fungus