How to Make Sea Salt Spray
Sea salt spray is a hair care product that is used to produce loose, wavy hair by adding texture and volume to the hair. Commercially available sea salt spray is expensive – particularly if you want to use it on a regular basis. The good news is that it is very simple to make using ingredients you already have at home.
Before read more useful tips, you can first watch the most popular video on how to make sea salt spray from youtube.com.
How to Make Sea Salt Spray
There are several different methods for making the spray at home. Here are two of the simplest recipes:
- 8 ounces of clean or distilled water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon of your favorite conditioner
- ½ teaspoon of hair gel for extra holding power
- Pour the water into a clean spray bottle.
- Add the sea salt and shake well to dissolve it. You may want to grind the sea salt into a very fine powder to make it dissolve more easily.
- Add the conditioner to the bottle and shake again to mix. The conditioner will help prevent the sea salt from drying out your hair.
- Add the hair gel to the bottle if you want a little extra ‘holding power’. Shake the bottle again to mix the ingredients.
- Note that you should shake the mixture before each use as these ingredients will separate between uses.
Note: Double the ‘recipe’ if you have longer hair
- 1 cup of hot water. Substitute chamomile tea (to lighten hair) or black tea (to darken hair).
- 2 tablespoons of Epsom salts for added hair texture.
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1teaspoon aloe vera gel
- ½ teaspoon of your favorite conditioner. Substitute almond or jojoba oil for the conditioner if you want.
- A few drops of your favorite essential oil for a different smell, if desired.
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice (if you want to lighten your hair)
- Pour the water or tea into a clean spray bottle.
- Add the Epsom salts and shake well.
- Add the sea salt and shake again.
- Add the conditioner, aloe vera gel, essential oils, and lemon juice (optional).
- Shake the mixture well until all the ingredients are dissolved.
- Note again that you should shake the mixture before each use as these ingredients will separate between uses.
Note: If you elect to use tea or lemon juice in your recipe, be sure to store the finished mixture in the refrigerator. Again, for longer hair you may want to double the recipe.
How to Use Sea Salt Spray on Your Hair
Applying the sea salt spray to your hair is simple!
- Be sure your hair is damp – towel drying your hair after a shower is perfect. Spray your sea salt spray mixture all over your head working it into your hair with your fingers.
- Try “scrunching” your hair to get even more waves and volume. You want to be sure to get the spray on all of your hair. At this point, you can use a hair dryer for even more texture…or simply let your hair air dry.
- Try twisting strands of your hair and use a straightener on the twisted strands to create more intense waves. Style your hair and then add another light spray of your sea salt mixture.
- You can use a hairspray for extra hold, but you may find you will not need this step at all! Use your fingers to scrunch your hair again and use your fingers to separate your hair into “beachy waves”.
Experiment with the ingredients and scents. You will probably find that you want lighter scents for the daytime and heavier scents for the evening.