Abdominal pain is a common symptom with many types of illness. Everyone will have experienced such pain at least once in their life. These pains may be localized in various areas, such as pain in the left, right or middle of the stomach. These pains can be due to a bacterial or viral infection in most cases, but in some instances, it can be due to some other medical condition related to the abdominal area. Pain in right side of the abdomen can be due to many conditions.
As some types of pain can be severe and may relate to serious issues, it is important to be aware of the symptoms and causes of pain associated with such abdominal pains.
Different Types of Abdominal Pain in the Right Side
There are various reasons that cause pain in the right side of the abdomen. These may include appendicitis, problems in the gall bladder, ovarian cysts, etc. Below are some reasons for such pain symptoms:
- Appendicitis - Pain in the right side of the abdomen is very commonly associated with appendicitis. The appendix is a three and half inch long tube of tissue which is an extension of the large intestine. A blockage in the appendix due to an infection will cause appendicitis. As the appendix will swell as a result of the infection, it needs to be treated urgently before it ruptures. An appendectomy is the only method of treatment for appendicitis and needs to be performed immediately upon diagnosis.
- Gallstones - Abdominal pain right side can also be associated with gall stones. Stones which form in the gall bladder - an organ which stores bile that secretes from the liver - are referred to as gall stones. There are several types of gall stone. These are cholesterol gall stones, and pigment gall stones such as black or brown pigment. A cholesystectomy is the usual practise to get rid of gall stones.
- Ectopic pregnancies - Women who are pregnant may also feel pain in the lower left or right side of their abdomen. If pain persists this could be associated with an ectopic pregnancy. Ectopic pregnancies occur when a fertilized egg implants itself outside the uterus, most often in the fallopian tubes. Pain will be felt depending on which side the egg has implanted itself. The only treatment for an ectopic pregnancy is to terminate the pregnancy.
- Ovarian cysts - Pain of this nature can also be caused by ovarian cysts. Such cysts often form within an ovary and are one of the main reasons for infertility in women. Ovarian cysts can also cause ovarian cancer. The cysts can be removed through a surgical procedure known as a laparoscopy or laparotomy.
Causes for Lower and Upper Pain in the Right Side
Pain in the right side of the abdomen can be related to many factors. The word “stomach?should not necessarily be associated with only the stomach intestines. There are many more organs contained within the stomach area. Therefore, causes of right side pain in abdomen can be due to a problem with the bladder, kidney or liver. Infections or medical problems in the spleen, pancreas, adrenal glands, and colon too can cause similar symptoms. Medical conditions related to any of these organs will cause pain in the abdomen. Food poisoning, hernia, polycystic ovaries can also cause pain in the right side of the abdomen. Being aware of all these possibilities will prompt individuals to realize that persistent abdominal pain is not to be ignored or medical attention not sought.
Signs and Symptoms of Right Side Abdominal Pain
Different illnesses will have different symptoms. Therefore, in order to identify or at least suspect the cause of a pain, one must be familiar with the illness and the associated symptoms.
- Appendicitis - extreme pain in the lower right side, nausea, vomiting and low grade fever
- Gallstones - pain will be felt in the upper right side of the abdomen and will travel to the right upper back, shoulder and chest. In addition, nausea and vomiting are present.
- Ectopic pregnancy - pain in right side or left without any fever or vomiting. This depends on the side in which the egg has implanted itself and fertilized.
- Ovarian cysts - severe to moderate pain in the lower right region of the stomach which progresses to pain in lower stomach and thighs.
- Ulcerative colitis - severe to mild abdominal pain and gurgling in the stomach as well as nausea and vomiting.
- Testicular torsion - pain in the right side in conjunction with severe pain and swelling of the scrotum.
Prevention and Treatment of Abdominal Pain in the Right Side
There is no specific method of preventing abdominal pain in the right side. As the pain may be caused by varying illnesses, the method of prevention as well as treatment depends on the underlying cause. Therefore, all individuals who experience any persistent pain in the right side of their abdomen should obtain medical advice. Ignoring the pain and hoping it will go away may lead to aggravated conditions that may even be fatal.
Treating right side pain in abdomen will depend on the diagnosis. A full physical examination should be scheduled in order to make a proper diagnosis. Test such as CT scans and X-rays may also be needed to make a proper assessment of the condition. Once the cause of the pain is determined, you will be advised of the recommended treatment and whether any surgical interventions are required.
Pain in the abdomen area can be caused by various reasons and some may be due to simple stomach upsets and viral or bacterial infections. However, pain in the right side of the stomach is generally caused by more serious underlying medical conditions. It is therefore recommended that the advice of a physician is sought if persistent pain is experienced.